After a long cold winter it seems that Spring has burst out everywhere in the same moment! Do you find allergy symptoms kicking in? Sneezing? Watery eyes? Sinus congestion? Often these symptoms are triggered by pollen and grass in the Spring.
Here’s why we sneeze & blow:
Our innate immune system responds to irritants (also known as allergens), such as pollen, by initiating a local inflammatory response to trap and remove or destroy them. Histamine is produced by mast cells that are numerous in the nose and mouth to increase the permeability of the capillaries to allow white blood cells to engage the invaders. This allows fluid to escape into the tissues which leads to the classic symptoms: a runny nose and watery eyes.
When the allergens bind to mast cells in the nasal cavity’s mucous membranes this can lead to sneezing, hyper-secretion of mucous and nasal congestion due to the enlargement of blood vessels.
What is a natural treatment alternative for allergy symptoms?
Lavender essential oil has chemical constituents that may help reduce the histamine response of your immune system. Begin with smaller doses and increase through regular use during allergy season. Experiment with the various application methods below but do not exceed 10-12 drops per day.
- Spread 1-2 drops along cheekbone, eyebrow, behind ears, and across forehead to reduce congestion.
- Place 1 drop in palm (neat), dip thumb into oil and place on roof of mouth.
- Place 2 drops in a vegetable capsule and swallow.
- Place 2 drops in rice milk, agave or local honey and swallow.
- Place 1-2 drops in palms, rub together and place over nose/mouth and inhale.
- Spread 1-2 drops on tips and bottom of toes before bed.
Wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine
PubMed – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10217323